Translate

Thursday 1 March 2018

HAPPY ST. DAVID's DAY!

To all my friend's and followers.

For St. David's Day this year, I would like to show you my writer's cottage "Laugharne Cottage" and also my little room-box which I have called "Noswaith Practws" ("Evening Practice").  I made them a few years ago.  I hope you will enjoy them.

INFORMATION:

"LAUGHARNE COTTAGE"
I have called the doll "Thomas Dylan" (after the famous Welsh writer - "Dylan Thomas".  "Laugharne Cottage" is named after a little place in Wales (U.K), called Laugharne, which is where Dylan Thomas lived for some time, during the 1930's, and where he did a lot of his writing in the "old boathouse", which still stands today.  It has been kept just as he left it, with screwed-up bits of paper on the floor, etc.  (He was not a tidy person!).  I made the cottage out of a wooden wine box which was given to me by a grocer.

I used Fimo modelling clay to make the doll, and I made the table, tea-chests for the books, and all the books and tied-up sheets of paper with "his writing" on.  (I didn't make his chair).  I made all the books out of cut-up pieces of wood, and covered them all with soft leather and various pieces of patterned paper, and made lots of cardboard boxes to store some of the books and piles of papers in.  Because the box is obviously not very deep, I added false doors to give the illusion of "rooms behind". 
The cottage has a bedroom upstairs, but I have not photographed it.

"LAUGHARNE COTTAGE"

"THOMAS DYLAN"

 * * *

"NOSWAITH PRACTWS".  ("EVENING PRACTICE").
("Noswaith" should have an accent on one of the letters (or two?), but I am not able to add them using my computer).

I made the wooden room-box for this one also, and I made both dolls with Fimo modelling clay.  I made the piano, stool, mirror and small crystal lampshade, and also all the pictures and photos on the walls.  I made the music case by the side of the piano, the rounded steps in the right hand corner (underneath the gold vase of flowers), and also the ornaments on the mantle-piece.  I made the little piano stool which the teacher is sitting on, by using a little chess piece from a Charity Shop, and covering the top with fabric.
I bought the fireplace, but made the chrome "bar" which fits in-front of the fire, out of a cheap, old silver-coloured bangle from a Charity Shop.
The carpet and the harp were both bought.
 I made both dolls and dressed them.  The young girl is wearing a traditional Welsh costume, for which I used genuine Welsh flannel.

"NOSWAITH PRACTWS"  
(EVENING PRACTICE")

SINGING THE WELSH
NATIONAL ANTHUM

THE MUSIC TEACHER

Carole
ENJOY!

 * * * * * * *

No comments: